Amla (Indian Gooseberry) for health
Also known as Amalaki or Indian Gooseberry, amla is cultivated in India and nearby countries. This green, pulpy, and juicy fruit has numerous healing properties, and hence, it is also regarded as a superfruit throughout the world.
When compared with an orange, amla has 8 times more vitamin C.
Key things to know about amla
Rich in vitamin C, calcium phosphorous, carotene, fiber, and iron, amla is also a powerhouse of antioxidants. Amla can be consumed in many different ways, it can be eaten raw, can make a glass of delicious juice, use in pickles, or as a key ingredient in health supplements.
The best thing about amla is that the entire plant is quite useful in one way or another, from its fruit, leaves, and seeds, everything plays a pivotal role in Indian traditional medicines. Culinary and herbal medicine uses of amla are many, and incorporating amla into your diet offers a plethora of health benefits.
Some amazing health benefits
- Amla is loaded with vitamin A, vitamin C, polyphenols, alkaloids, and flavonoids, making it a great immunity booster.
- Being enriched with phytochemicals like quercetin, gallic acid, corilagin, and ellagic acids, amla detoxifies the body and improves liver function.
- Amla boosts the production of digestive juices, regulates bowel movements, flushes out the wastes, and drinking amla juice in the morning can help clean the system.
- A great source of vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients, amla and amla juice improves blood circulation to the scalp and also strengthens hair follicles.
- Amla works as a natural blood purifier that makes the skin glow from within.
- Amla stimulates metabolic activity while preventing fat formation. and this helps in losing weight and excess fat.
Frequently asked question
● What is the best time to consume amla juice?
You should take amla juice in the morning on an empty stomach, it will help you reap all the amazing detoxifying benefits. It helps the body in absorbing the nutrients, amla is strongly recommended by Ayurveda due to its extensive health benefits.
● Does amla help weight loss?
Yes, it does. Amla accelerates metabolism and also helps in burning calories. So, if you are looking for the right solution for weight management, amla or amla juice can help in reducing excess weight and fat.
● How does amla help improve skin health?
Vitamin A, vitamin C, and antioxidants present in amla help in improving skin health. In addition to purifying the blood, it improves natural skin glow while making it soft and supple.
● Is amla good for hair?
Yeah, being rich in iron and carotene content, amla makes a great choice for improving hair health. It reduces hair fall, promotes hair growth, and also strengthens hair.
Interesting facts about amla
- Antioxidant properties are amazing, twice of acai berry, and 17 times more of a pomegranate.
- Amla, the name comes from the Sanskrit word ‘Amlaki’ meaning “nectar of life”.
- As suggested by Ayurveda, amla helps balance three doshas- Kapha, vista, and pitta.
- Amla is used in Ayurvedic remedies for more than a thousand years.