Climbing shrub with countless benefits
Giloy: (Tinospora cordifolia)
Also known as giloe, guduchi, or amrita- giloy is a climbing shrub from the botanical family Menispermaceae. The plant is native to India, and it is regarded as one of the most important herbal plants in ayurvedic as well as folk medicines. Although all parts of the plant are quite useful in ayurvedic medicine, the stem is known as the most effective and useful part of the plant.
Giloy is a shrubby creeper with yellow flowers, it has heart-shaped leaves. From Myanmar and Southeast Asia to Australia, giloy also grows in tropical, and high-altitude areas of India. Giloy has countless benefits including antioxidant, anti-arthritic, anti-osteoporotic, anti-diabetic, and cardioprotective.
In sanskrit, 'amrita' stands for immortality and 'guduchi' stands for something that protects the entire body.
Some amazing benefits
- Giloy makes a perfect choice to improve digestion. From diarrhea and colitis to vomiting and hyperacidity, giloy keeps various stomach-related issues at bay.
- Giloy helps in reducing stress and anxiety, it calms your mind and body while improving memory and cognitive function.
- Breathe more freely! Giloy has anti-inflammatory properties, and it keeps breathing problems away.
- Including giloy in your diet can help in improving immunity, and increasing vitality. It is rich in antioxidants that help in releasing toxins from the body.
- As giloy helps in boosting immunity, it can prove to be helpful for those who are dealing with a chronic fever.
Frequently asked questions
● How should I consume giloy?
According to Ayurveda, giloy can be consumed in the form of powder of kadha. Nowadays, giloy is also available in the form of tablets that is easy to consume.
● Does giloy boost immunity?
Giloy is the ultimate answer to various health problems. It has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, making it a strong immunity booster.
● Can giloy help in controlling blood sugar levels?
In Ayurveda, giloy is regarded as a ‘Madhunashini’ the meaning being ‘destroyer of sugar’. It helps improve the production of insulin which controls blood sugar levels.
● Can I prepare giloy juice?
Get some clean branches of giloy, prepare a green liquid paste by blending these branches with a cup of water, and sieve it to make your giloy juice.